Saturday, March 31, 2007

Suttonly I see......

Why the hell it means so much to me. To run. To race. To be part of a bigger picture, something bigger than yourself.

I didn't feel like going all the way to Sutton Coldfield today but sometimes you have to do what's right rather than what's right for you. That's what being part of a team is all about. Sometimes you give and sometimes you take.

Lady luck smiled and I got the race I needed, leg 2 of 12 in the Midland Road Relays. I made my personal goal of running twenty races within the confines of the year to the end of March and helped get our two teams into the nationals road relays in the process.

I ran a time of 17:43, gave everything and knocked 49s off last years time in the process. I only dropped six places on my leg, dropping down to 16th, which was pretty good considering that most teams put out good runners on the early legs. It gave the rest of the team a good base from which to build on and pick up the places I lost. Eventually finishing well inside the target of top 25 in 15th place. Our 'A' team finished just outside the medals in 4th with an under strength team.

The woman fared better. We only had one team this year - but what a team! They ran their socks off to claim an unexpected Silver medal. Massive congratulations go to Lisa, Heidi, Annabel, Clare, Suzie and Sian.

All in all it was a good day out and although part of me still wishes I could have run up Pen Cerrig Calch, I'm happy to have run at the Midland Road Relays and to have clocked up my twentieth race there.

Finally, well done to Helen F for claiming a win in the women's Pen Cerrig fell race. She's not fully fit and still suffering with injury so it's a cracking result - just don't go overdoing too soon- and they say I'm mad!!!

Thought for the day: A good reputation is more valuable than money.

No comments:

Post a Comment