Sunday, March 04, 2007

What a day....


Conditions horrendous
Wind, rain, hail it chilled us.
Top ten in the 10k,
Duathlon was OK.
Did opportunity I take,
Top fifty did I make?
Not sure,
so we'll find out tomorrow.

What a great day I had at Castle Combe. I actually managed a pretty decent time in the 10k (by my standards), 38:35 (which is within a minute of my PB) and finished in...... 'seventh' - back of the net . Now, I didn't expect that, especially after I limped home from the fell race yesterday. What a difference a day makes.

The weather conditions were, I quote the organiser, 'The worst we've ever had'. It was blowing a gale and the rain was continuous with some hail at the start of the race - which was nice - made your face all tingly. On top of that it was flippin' freezing. But at least it looks like I am in decent shape to have a proper crack at my 10k time once the weather improves.

Now, about the duathlon. Was it tough? Too bloody right. And as I predicted I was in a good position after the first run (2 miles) but got whooped by the cycle boys (and girls) once we hit the track. Still, there is a chance I made the top fifty but I think it is probably a slim one. The final 2 mile run was terrible. My legs would not work properly - my running form (never the best anyway) consisted of tiny little shuffling steps. I just couldn't run properly. To make matters worse my hands were so cold on the final transition that I didn't manage to get my right shoe on properly and the insole pushed into my toes, making it for an even more uncomfortable run. Still, I managed to pick up somewhere in the region of a dozen places so I guess everyone was in the same boat. I have lessons to learn regarding duathlon but they will be learnt.

It was, as I said before, a great day and well done to the organiser, Will and the marshals and helpers who braved the damp and the cold to host the event. Both races went off without a hitch and, in the words of the Governor of California, 'I'll be back'......

Thought for the day: How can there be self-help 'groups'?

PS just added, the link to the youtube version of yesterdays race, complete with the missing 30s from the start of the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment