Saturday, February 09, 2008

Darran? Darran? Who the hell is Darran?

I couldn't get in the mood today. I ran well enough - I suppose - but I didn't feel comfortable going up. I struggled. On the last of the ascent two runners, who I'd overtaken earlier in the climb, came back at me and passed with ease. I became really annoyed with myself and the way I was struggling and even started swearing at myself. I guess I should be pleased I still have the passion for it - that it can get me that het up.

Once I got to the top it was a different matter and I seemed to be able to pick things up and the descent was fine. I was able to come back down in a reasonably uncontrolled, let the hand break off, free fall manner.

The route of the Darren was fairly uninspiring - being a straight to the top and back affair covering about 3 miles and 1,000 feet of climb. I finished in sixth place in a time of 23:43 verses the winning time of 20:20. So in reality I should be pleased by a good performance and the appearance of an unexpected visitor. Oh, I don't know, something just didn't feel quite right with me today. I hope that what ever caused my malaise today lifts before tomorrow's Durley Dozen.

Well done to Pat Wooddisse for third place. He followed up his impressive run last week in the Longmynd (6th place) - where he thrashed me. Percentage wise I was closer to him today. And well done to Helen F for yet another victory in the women's race.

Thought for the day: Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment