Sunday, February 01, 2009

Am I over the May Hill?

I was a whole 3 minutes and 36 seconds slower than last year - as an excuse you all know I raced yesterday and my quads felt bad before the race so under the circumstances I don't think I can complain. I'm not going to mention that Helen was 10 seconds quicker than my time from last year - bugger, I said I wasn't going to mention that. She was on a double header as well - there's some black magic going on there - either that, or she's just plain good at the moment. She won the women's race after a battle with Cheltenham's Laura Kent to make it two wins in a row. She's on for a hat trick next year - but unlike the world cup, they won't let her keep the trophy in the event she does it.

Now, for the details of my race. I felt I ran pretty well. I went out slowly and built. After about three miles my race position was settled but I slowly picked my through the field ahead. My fell running stood me in good stead for the down hills where I gained maximus placimus. I fair surprised myself across the sticky, muddy sections where I also made good gains - normally I'm crapola through the mud but today I seemed to skim across the surface while those around me sank.

Anyway, by the final climb I was completely b#@$*cksed but limited the damage to a single lost place. Then came the final downhill section of about a mile and a half where upon I overtook three or four runners before eventually reeling in that chap that got past on the hill.

I suspect that my legs may be more than a little sore tomorrow but the weeks training will have been a price worth paying. It's been a fine weekend - and it's just started snowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment