Sunday, March 04, 2012

Not Quite So Perfect

In fact, conditions were a bit pants. If the last two weeks long runs have been in brilliant conditions today's was a million, OK, a thousand miles away from all that niceness. First off, I was surprised to see so much snow! And the wind - stop it - it was bitingly cold. I had several layers and my gortex jacket but it still got through. Fair chilled me to my bones. After starting with the gloves I was quick to swap in the fur - artificial - lined mittens. I have to admit that the conditions got to me today and I didn't complete the planned route in its entirety.

The outward journey was hard work, heading west into the wind most of the way. That was sapping and a double whammy of reducing the pace causing the wind to chill me all the deeper. Oh, and while I'm moaning, we all have our favourite mountains - although I'm not sure what mine are. However, I definitely know my least favourite, it's that bloody Garreg Las. A total shit of a mountain. It's not the shape of it, nor the views or the way you cross it, it's just all the bloody rocks. It should be a nice gently descending run off (going south) but it isn't. It's shit shit shit the whole way. You can't really run much for doing your ankle or landing your foot on pointy stones. Hell, I was cross with myself for choosing to run - or not as the was the case - down the ridge. Next time I shall skip round the east side to then come back on my SWT route along the west.

Having finally reached the turn round, the return leg was better but the top ridge past Bannau Sir Gaer was hard work, running side on diagonally against the wind. And then, leaning so much into the wind, it would suddenly drop and I'd be almost over on my head - lucky I kept a few metres back from the edge...

By the time I got back to the van, although warmed up, being out of the wind and back below the snow line, I'd taken so damn long I decided to call it quits. I really couldn't face going up Fan Gyhriych to get myself cold all over again after having finally managed to warm up.

Oh, and while I remember, I've never seen waves crashing on the sides across Llyn y Fan Fawr before. I wasn't sure if I should have gone back and got my flipping surf board!

Anyway, the days run weighed in at a slightly disappointing 28km with 5,500 feet of ascent. Better than a kick in the head but not quite as good a hot mug of soup - talking of which, I'm off...

Looking up towards Fan Hir above the snow line...

Today's route...

No comments:

Post a Comment