Thursday, December 27, 2007

Getting blown...

...off the mountain. Well apparently it gets windier than what I witnessed today but it sure seemed windy to me. It was easily my windiest trip over the mountains - no, stop it.

I was lucky enough to have a guide - I said, stop it - as in someone knowing of the route - for today's day trip across the black mountains. We ran out from Llanbedr in a big loop partially covering the routes of the various fell races that take place there. Overall conditions were pretty good if a 'little' windy. We were never above the cloud base so there were some nice views to be had. In all we covered 14.5 miles which took in close to 4,000ft of ascent. On the way back I lost a contact lens in the wind which made it hard work getting my footing but you'll all be glad to know I made it back safely.

With every run on the mountains I learn a little more and in this game knowing the mountains is as much a part to racing well as out and out speed and strength are. Give me a few years and I'll know every nook and cranny - well, maybe not. Today was good and I look forward to my next guided tour.

Thought for the day: The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not necessarily to have conquered but to have fought well.

No comments:

Post a Comment