Thursday, December 20, 2007

Freezing fog froze my face

Well I had the desire tonight. I went straight to the gym from work, got changed and headed out before I could change my mind. I ran 1.15km reps, six of them. I almost, gave up after the fourth but the Rocky I training music fictionally played in my mind and that lifted my spirit and allowed me to complete.

I ran along by the quarry at the top of Ashton Court. It's a reasonably flat gravel path but the outward rep is slightly downhill and the return, slightly uphill - duh, rocket science. It was hard work in the cold, foggy darkness and although I ran slower than I wanted to, my reps were at least, consistent - and as a bonus, wearing two - yes, two pairs of gloves tonight, I did manage to keep my hands warm even if my face wasn't.

I find it terribly hard to train solo, especially in non-ideal conditions so the fact that I stayed the distance tonight proves something to myself - I don't know what, mind you, but definitely proves something - maybe that I truly am mad? But who cares?

Anyway, so what were my splits I hear you all begging to know? Someone, anyone? Well I'm telling you anyway. They were 4:05, 4:16, 4:06, 4:16, 4:05 and 4:14. Pacewise that's about 3:34 km's for the downhill ones and 3:42 km's for the ups and please, before you judge too harshly, bear in mind that I was on strict 60s recoveries - so strict in fact that some were only 55s because I didn't want to cheat myself. All in all I'm satisfied I put in the effort. And I reckon that the off road nature of the reps and the darkness accounted for a few seconds - but maybe I'm just cheating myself.

So was that the end? - what do you reckon - I was on a roll. I headed back in to the gym for a half hour interval session on the bike on reasonably hard resistance. The effort began to tell after twenty minutes but I held on to finish. Then it was inevitably onto the weights for a quick work out before heading home for tea...

Thought for the day: The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment