Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fair to midland-leaguing

The gods smiled today - and we were blessed. The weather was great, almost too sunny for running the longer races - I had to apply the sunblock like never before.

We fielded another big team for the second Midland League Division match of the season. We hosted this one on our home track - in Yate? That's right a city the size of Bristol can't be arsed to cater for the needs of the athletic community - so much for bringing on the youth of today for 2012. I don't think that Bristol City Council realise that mugging and the '100m leggit from the police' are not actually Olympic events - they think were guaranteed gold's in those events so we don't need decent sport/athletic facilities. So off to Yate we went.

The team spirit was good yet again with everyone knuckling down and doing their bit. Glad to see Harry again - with his signed letter excusing him from Wednesday's track session. He had a good run out in the 800m, running a few seconds quicker than at the last match and picking up good points in the high jump to boot.

I had some good results as well. Didn't do as many events as last time - only four - but it was a case of quality over quantity this time.

I took 2nd place in the 400m Hurdles 'A' string with a new PB of 72.4s (2.5s off). Then I headed over to the Javelin to fit in two throws before heading out on the 3000m Steeple Chase - which I have to say I took pretty easy - but this time round I actually had the balls to hurdle the barriers - rock on! I managed 3rd place in the 'A' string with another PB in a time of 12:27 (33s off). Then it was quickly over to the Javelin to take my final three throws as I had qualified for the further stages (the top six after three throws get another three). I pulled out all the stops to set - you guessed it - another PB, this time adding almost three metres to my previous best, with a mammoth throw of 31.20 and 2nd place in the 'B' string - who's the daddy.

Then it was time to put my feet as my work there was done - but I got a late call up to the shot putt - never my greatest event. Anyhow, picture the scene, I was languishing down in fifth place in the 'B' string with a putt of around 5.5m, which was close to my previous best - having never broken six. I stepped up to the ockey and launched possibly one of the finest putts to ever grace the putting circle - time stood still as the sacred Orb of Iron lifted majestically though the air, almost defying gravity before finally coming to rest at a distance of 6.22m to claim 3rd spot and another PB - four out of four - well slap my thigh.

Not sure of the team result but I hope we did well. We certainly had some good results today, especially in the sprints and relays.

Off now to rest up ahead of tomorrow's Long Ashton 10k......

Thought for the day: People do not lack strength, they lack will.

No comments:

Post a Comment