Sunday, August 26, 2018

Half Marathon Cold Storming...

So the rain did as promised and chucked it down. Trooping in the rain is not conducive to staying warm. Waterproof it is not but I stuck it out as long as I could and I wasn't exactly being rushed off my feet for photos this year. I guess most people pretty much headed away to get warm and dry once they finished their race. I cheered those still finishing as I trudged my way back to the car. And finally, congratulations to all those half marathoners and 10k'ers who made the distance at today's Severn Bridge race.

So anyway, I wasn't sure I was going to train today as I've been feeling tired but after having got chilled to the bone I couldn't get warm. The hot shower didn't do it and there was no way I was turning on the heating in August! So what to do? Why, my final Academy race, of course. Today's offering was the climb. I was intending to try the TT but I guess I can do that later, even though I've already complete the required two.

The circuit was two 6%/7.4km climbs and 24k total. It was not easy going but it did the trick. I'm finally feeling warm again. Pace-wise I got it about right, I was even on the climbs (30:15 and 30:30, which I think is pretty decent consistency) and I enjoyed reeling in five or six riders on the final one before holding off a sprint attack - which almost made me sick - not recommended when in the gym...

Off to the mountains tomorrow if all goes to plan....




No comments:

Post a Comment