Sunday, January 06, 2008

The pirates of Penzance???

That's right I watched the second Pirates of the Caribbean film. Not as good as the first but Keira is hot so I didn't mind watching. And that was pretty much it for the day. I'm sure I did something else but I can't what? Oh, that's right, the race. The little matter of the Forest Of Dean Trail Race (15.4k) - I forgot about that.

But my, what a bloody ace race. I could not possibly have hoped for a better run than wot I got today. I was optimistically hoping to dip inside the hour mark. If I'm honest, I didn't think I'd manage that but, as I say, if you're aiming for anything you might as well aim high.

I set off at a good pace and pretty much worked hard from the gun. I was on my limit for most of the race and concentrating hard while trying to stay relaxed - not always easy. With the three lap course as it is, I was able to take my split times which were amazingly even. Most of the time when I race I go off too quick and slow but today, as at the hangover, I got it spot on with all three laps pretty much equal.

So what was the score, I hear you ask? 5th place and - wait for it, wait for it - I smashed - ney - destroyed the hour mark - OK, maybe destroyed is a bit strong but I am over the bloody moon with my time of 58:33. The official distance is 15.4k but in reality I think it's a tad shorter but still, I'm well chuffed. My second race of the year has been an unqualified success. I don't know what to put my current reversal of form down to but all the bike work I've been doing can't be coincidence and my new secret weapon might well play a small part - I could tell you what that is but then I'd have to kill you, plus it wouldn't be a secret weapon any more.

Oh, let there be more days like today - 2008, I'm luvin' it.

Thought for the day: Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment