Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My first snow of the winter

Well I finally made it around the Brecon Beacons today. On the drive over I thought it was going to be one of the most horrible training runs of my life - not because my guide was rubbish or anything - heaven forbid - but because the weather was, and you must pardon my French, crap. However, once on foot it really wasn't bad at all and we could even see blue sky in places.

There was plenty of snow on the tops - plenty is probably pushing it a bit - but it's my first run through the snow at the top of a mountain and very exciting for me - I think at this point I should maybe get a life. But for a brief moment, we stood on top of the world, surrounded by snow - well, the highest point in South Wales, if that counts.

I'm so pleased to have finally got round the main peaks but I feel I need a bucket load more time there before I feel confident of knowing my way round properly and I must thank Sherpa Tenzing, without whom, I'm not sure I'd have ever made it round the mountains of the Brecons.

After all that fun it was time to pop in the car, drive home and with thirty minutes to spare I headed over to the track for a session.

With just one lap of the warm up under my belt I knew trying a track session after the mountains was madness - typical bloody me, that is. Rick was slightly late so I stepped in to time instead of run. The lads, including the ever youthful Jerry, were running a mix of 800's and 900's and after one lap Rick turned up so I decided I should at least do something so I took to the track for five 400's with 30s recovery.

It has to be said that it was probably my slowest ever set. Quite honestly it was pitiful, 90, 85, 83, 82 and 79s - how very sad is that? My legs were absolute pants and my quads ached like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I've decided to rest tomorrow and Friday ahead of my weekend of racing - the first of my double headers - beauty. I might make it to the gym tomorrow but if anyone sees me approach the bike while I'm there I give full permission to shoot me.

Thought for the day: A life without cause is a life without effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment