Sunday, September 22, 2019

No Burn!

Okay, so it wasn't exactly a full on session as it was my first 'run' for over two weeks having taken my medicine. I'm not going to rush things. Baby steps but the signs from today's easy 5k give me hope I'm on the mend but I've lost so much fitness in the five weeks of reduced training, with the last two weeks of it being almost total rest. I think it's been necessary though.

The intervals were at a quite pathetic pace but the same pace was causing my legs to burn with lactic acid five weeks ago so I wasn't going to be stupid. Recovery was 250m and I gauged the rep length as I went. I wanted to stay well away from hitting the burn but really didn't know what to expect.

The first one was 500m and felt fine. The next about 600m, then a couple of 750m before a final 1k. At no stage did the legs feel close to getting the burn - happy days. I didn't find it too hard - just as well from such a low pace - and was within myself at the end of each effort. My heart rate rose to 160, which is pretty high considering the low pace but for the last weeks I've not been able to get it up - ooh er matron. During the last few weeks, it's only been reaching 150bpm before the burn hit. So the fact I was able to sustain a higher heart rate in itself I take as a sign of improvement (despite the low pace).

I'm pretty happy it's now time resume training and will be putting a schedule together. Going to start gently and build - plenty of recovery this time though. Rather than letting this blip put me off, I am more determined than ever to get back. What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger...

No comments:

Post a Comment