Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Actually Made It!

Yes, I can't believe it either!!! I gathered my kit together the night before so I had no excuses today. Nor did I need an excuse. I got home in good time. Watched a bit of Neighbours - as you do. I now but I can't help it and apparantly there's no cure but I digress. I bid the cat farewell, doffed my cap and then headed down to Chepstow for the LCL race - that's Leisure Centre League for those not in the know - and that includes me.

I knew it would be tough tonight but it exceeded expectation. The old me would have thought it was a good course. Less than the regulation 10k, weighing in at 8.8km but it was decently hilly, including an uphill finish.... The new me thought it was shit and it had a f$(%ing uphill finish. Only joking - or am I? No, I am...

Anyway, I set off way, way, way back in the field - and it was a BIG field - I wasn't expecting that! Infact, I was so far back I was practically in next weeks race.

The first kilometre saw me taking things easy on the downhill section. I wanted to ease myself into it having not raced on the road for who knows how long. Then into the first climb I made my move and started edging through the field as my speed remained constant while those around me slowed. Me? I'm a one pace donkey these days. Ahead, dead slow...

After a few more kilometres the gains slowed but I kept plugging away. As we hit the final climb I was beginning to struggle. I wasn't going fast, averaging just 4mins 29s per kilometre, but that, it appears, is as fast as I go these days. It wasn't all bad though. I managed to force myself beyond the limit on the first section of that final climb to gain a couple of places and then had to stop for a spot of puking - they over took me - doh! I got going again and managed to keep myself just the right side of vomit this time - until the finish, but that's allowed - and more importantly managed to get back those two places. Probably made sh!t all difference to the club result but the fact I can still race hard gives me hope I've not gone soft....

I am hopeful this can be the start of a beautiful relationship with my club, Chepstow Harriers (the best club in all Wales, coincidently). One where I can get down to some regular training - get down as in travel to Chepstow as opposed to some James Brown style soul singing/dancing. Maybe I might even get a little speed in my now ancient legs- yeah, maybe not.

And you know what? Best of all? I didn't even miss the sofa tonight. That's got to be some kind of omen.....


Blimey, this blog post almost has a tinge of the old Mad Runner madness - one swallow does not a summer make but am I ever hoping to see the return of the Mad Runner........



And another thing, there seems to have been and awful lot of dot dot dotting tonight..........

No comments:

Post a Comment