Saturday, August 18, 2012

Well That Felt Just Like The Old Days

I do declare that I was actually running! - I think.

It would be a slight exaggeration to say I had some speed but I felt pretty strong out there. The forecast accuracy was shit, mind. Starting misty and wet an clearing by midday. Yeah, right. On which planet? So having consulted the mountain forecast I decided to leave a little later and headed over to the Gywyne valley for an eleven o'clock start - what a waste of time that was. Things started misty and just got worse. It was actually pretty nice to start with. The visibility on the top was poor. Maybe down to 100m in places but conditions weren't unpleasant and because I was running much better I was really enjoying it. By the finish it was mashing down but because I was running well it didn't really diminish my enjoyment.

So, back to the run, I set off from the car park nearest to Crug Mawr, determined to give my secret Black Mountains route to Crug a bash. It wasn't a brilliant route, it has to be said, but I could see one or two further possibilities to try. I kept getting side tracked by little trods which took me slightly off the direct line but once I was through the thick stuff near the bottom of the climb the rest was pretty decent and despite not being able to see Crug Mawr until I was practically on it - and not being arsed to get my compass out - I hit it pretty spot on - "use the Force, Luke, use the Force". I need to revisit in a week or two and trial the other couple of options I espied. Still think there might be something in it...

Anyway, with CM out of the way I merrily ploughed my way along the top to Pen y Gadir Fawr. That's where I got into a bit of a rhythm and despite being quite a long stretch the time flew by and before I knew it I was ascending onto Pen y G. From there I followed the BMs race route for the rest of the run.

The section along the Charlie y Fan ridge to Bal Mawr was into the full force of the wind and rain but my renewed vim and vigour kept me punching through the conditions to get back to the van about 2 hours and 15 minutes after I started. Now that isn't particularly quick for the 19.6km route but I did stop a few times for 'the call of nature' and the wind was pretty fierce on the top. Oh, and there was 2,600 feet of ascent. All in all I am very pleased. That light at the end of the tunnel is starting to get brighter and brighter...

Today's 19.6km with 2,600 feet of ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment