Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A world of pain

Well, with the worlds economies on the point of implosion can things get any worse? What the heck are you looking at me for? As Bart would say, 'I didn't do it!'

I got out for training and you know what? It wasn't too bad. The rain held off and the wind was mild - so mustn't grumble.

Anyway, Sean and Dan were on the money with me and Rick pacing for sections - by pacing, I mean the Irish version, you know, the one where the slowies - that's me - run round and the fasties - that's Sean and Dan try to keep 'down' - that's the opposite of keep up, read, force themselves to run like sloths. Notice I haven't mentioned Jerry. He was down at the track but he doesn't like to mix it with the riff raff anymore, now that he's become a sort of coach type person, as he helps coach the young Eritrean now.

So Sean and Dan ran five 800's with a 200m jog recovery in 75s for lap one and then speeding to 70s on lap two. I did my job well - if I say so myself - on the first lap by running slow enough - and even paced - to keep them easy but have to admit I did speed up a bit towards 74s as I tired - if that makes no sense I shall explain. As I started to get tired I had to put in more effort to keep the pace at 75 but that inevitably meant losing the ability to gauge the pace which crept up slightly. I digress - haven't ever done that before.

Well after the 800's, Sean and Dan ran some quick 200's to finish while I carried on with three more 400's to complete a set of eight in times ranging from 76s for the first one, decreasing over the reps to a final 72s.

Now I know I had long recoveries while S &D ran their extra lap but I'm still pleased that I can still get down to 72's. If only I could get myself back into the training routine - I'd almost be able to call myself a runner...

Thought for the day: Can the economy really get any worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment