Monday, August 30, 2010

Not A Bad Effort

If I say so myself. My time of 48:37 would please me on any day and doubly so the day after my fastest 10k for two and a half years. My legs do feel a little tired now though, it has to be said. Still, I'm pleased.

The race was also part of the Chepstow Harriers internal championship. I've missed a goodly number so need to get a couple more to get my score. I think - and this needs to be verified - that I was the 6th Chepstow runner home - possibly 5th, but I'm not going to get carried away - OK, maybe just a little. That places this as my best performance in the champs - back of the net. Just think what I'd be like on fresh legs.....

I ran hard from the start but after a while, on the relentless, meandering climb to the top, I ran out of steam. It was a surprisingly tough race. More trail than fell but a challenge never the less - just over 6 miles and 1,300 feet of ascent - not to be sniffed at.

By the top my legs were burning. By the bottom they were jelly. By the time I reached the final flat, road section and lap of the field I was dying on my feet. Through the line in what I think was 36th place.

Well done to the Machen Welfare Association for a well organised race (with lots of lovely buffet at the finish) and all the marshals out on the course.

All I need to do now is pray for a miracle that my legs recover in time for tomorrow's AXA 5 Miler...

The route for the interested;

No comments:

Post a Comment