Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Rhobell Fawr

With the rain just about holding we went for a recce of the Rhobell Fawr race. Parking at Tyn-y-Groes, some 2 miles away from the race start, we pootled up hill along the road before heading onto the bridle path and the race route proper.

It's one of those out and back affairs but interesting all the same. The section across the open hillside was bleak - not to mention boggy. The summit was in the clag and visibility was low. Helen pulled away from me as we approached the top but due to my superior line I arrived at the summit first - I shall, of course, pay for that last comment - oh well. Not wanting to get too cold at the trig we didn't hang around long before heading back down.

In all we covered 11.5 miles and just over 2,500 feet of ascent. After my third day in a row I feel a bit tired so I need to rest up. The worst is yet to come as we head off to recce the Rhinogs tomorrow. The terrain looks fearsome and it's going to be a much longer run than anything we've run so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment