Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Bridge Too Far

Ran a double session today. Went for a recovery run this morning to try and get the affects of yesterdays excellent long run out of my legs. Only 4 and a half miles but it was hard work. Coupled with 60 minutes of interval bike session to follow and it all adds to a fairly meaningless 5k race at the Bridge Inn. Never the less, I went through the motions. I decided to treat it as a training run and break twenty minutes by going out slow and then speed up. The legs felt well dodgy in the first km. I didn't think I would make it but they came back to life a little bit in the next km. I was able to follow the game plan with splits of 3:54, 3:54, 3:47, 3:47, 3:40, for a time of 19:02. Silly thing is, a few months ago a time of 19 minutes was flat out on fresh legs!

Overall the training is going well. To be training so hard and still knock out a reasonably 5k is really pleasing. I know I can go sub 18 now but at the moment all my focus is half-marathon and marathon. I'm happy to bide my time and wait until the opportunity arises to break 18 rather than force it.

No comments:

Post a Comment