Saturday, January 14, 2012

Meet The Colleagues

Miraculously I managed to get myself out of bed at half six. Gathered my kit and jumped in the van. I was off over to Llangorse for a medium distance run ahead of meeting my work colleagues on route. They were walking a 5-6 mile route starting and finishing where I did but later in the morning. I was aiming to intercept their route by about midday and was hoping I'd spot them as I climbed towards the route intercept - well that was the plan...

So I set off on the run at about nine. It was bloody cold and the sky was beautifully clear. There was low lying mist but I was above that. I set out running around the base of Mynydd Troed before climbing 'the nose' towards Pen Manllwyn and onto Waun Fach. From there I ran the ridge all the way to just beyond Pen Allt-mawr (to Pen Gloch-y-pibwi) before dropping off down into the village of Cwmdu. From there I ran on the road for a mile or so before hitting the hills again to climb towards Pen Tir. Now if I had my timings right I was hoping to see the group during this climb, ahead of me walking south westerly in the direction of Cefn Moel. My luck was in and I could espy them in the far distance - but they were bloody miles ahead. I was concerned I was too far back to catch them.

I downed an energy gel for a bit of a boost and set about catching them up. I put in a good solid contouring run to finally meet them with about two miles to go. From there we all walked in together. Then it was off to the Cider Mill for a chat and some grub - and the food was excellent, highly recommend a visit.

As the day heads towards night, it's been a good one...

The route of today's run (and walk) of about 19.5 miles with 4,500 feet of ascent:



A few pictures from the start of the run:
Mynydd Troed

Cockit Hill

The misty valley...



No comments:

Post a Comment