Sunday, October 09, 2011

Not Tonight Dear, I've Got A Headache

Well, I almost felt like using that excuse. Despite it being a glorious day, my heart wasn't in it - and my mind was elsewhere for most of the time as well. I did get out there though but not for anywhere near as long as I should have. I am disappointed in myself and were I religious I'd be due to perform a couple of 'ows your father's... I don't know why I was full of melancholy. I just was.

As to the run, I decided to try some road running and perhaps that's part of the reason I struggled. If I'm to attempt the Greenman I need to get my road legs back, or at least some semblance of them. The route itself was pretty scenic for the most part. There's no lack of quiet country roads round these parts. I ran just under 12 miles with 1,500 feet of ascent. There was meant to be a whole extra bit south of the A4136 but by the time I reached that point I wasn't in the mood and just pootled on home. I'm going to pay penance in the form of another hour on the bike.

On a brighter note, my first loaf after the curious incident of the replacement element in the night time was a success. Nice, light and airy with a hint of rosemary - nice girl - and I made good use of my latest gadget in the process. To be fair it's not really that much of gadget and at twenty quid it was quite expensive for what is, for all intents and purpose, a mat. It is a pretty special mat though. A super-dooper silcon fibre-glass affair and what it means for baking is flour-free kneading. It can also be used directly in the oven up to 230 degree centigrade if you fancy one of them yer roundish, natural shaped loafy efforts instead of the more boxy shape that results from using a loaf tin - although I've not tried that yet. It has to be said it's a bit of a luxury but what the hell, it's good to treat yourself now and again.

Today's disappointingly shortened route:-

No comments:

Post a Comment