Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Never Say Never Again

Well when, a few months ago, I said my days of running intervals and all that jazz were behind me - I lied. I'm just back from my first sortie into the realm of mile reps for a terribly long time. Admittedly there's a lot of proper runners would hardly class what I just did as mile reps I was that slow but as my Nepalese Guru - yes, he's back as my coach - would say, 'You've got to start somewhere'.

I only managed four and I can honestly say it was only a hairs breadth from being three. Only my desire to recapture the past drove my to the fourth. So, as I said, it wasn't quick - and for those who bore witness - I wasn't pretty. The humidity was in the stratosphere and the salt got in my eyes as I dripped around my old mile loop. The wind on the far section of the lap was not my friend either - and why is it that when it's in your face it feels like a force ten gale and when it's on your back you can't even feel it? - I call foul.

Well for the record I managed 6:18, 6:11, 6:18 and a final, fading fast, 6:19 all run off a strict three minute recovery. Solo mile reps are hard but next time I try for five - and I will never say never, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment