Sunday, July 11, 2010

Back-to-back weekends of back-to-back runs

and next week I have back to back races planned - oh dear lord, save me.

It was another 'take you mind off your troubles' run and pretty much went to plan. Except, that is, for the missed turn off Offa's path above Tintern, sending me about two miles extra before I found my way back to the planned route. Still, I was full of running at the end so I'm glad I missed it.

I really feel I'm starting to get my old strength back - how many times have I claimed that? After a myriad of false dawns - not her again. I truly am starting to grind up the hills without stopping like I used to - a very long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I pretty much ran the entire way today barring a few really short and sharp hill bits but there really weren't too many of those, thankfully. Most of the climbs were long and steady. But hard enough effort that the 'me' of two months ago would have been walking by the end.

The grind out of Tintern was probably the most challenging both physically and mentally. I just put my head down and kept slogging away. It was probably two miles worth which made it feel all the better for finally reaching the top ridge and then running free. As free as the wind blows. As free as the grass grows. Born free to follow your heart. Live free and beauty surrounds you. The world still astounds you. Each time you look at a star... got off topic there.

Where was I, oh yeah, today's run. So in all, the planned run (11 miles) turned out to be 13.5 with about 3,000 feet of ascent. So it's been a total of 34 miles this weekend and heading for 6,000 feet of ascent. And my legs feel in better shape than after last weekends double - although to be fair there was a bit more ascent last weekend, even if it was less real distance. If I can be arsed I'm going to go for a run tomorrow as well...

Today's route

No comments:

Post a Comment