Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Tracking, Apache Style

Well, more GPS style, really, but more of that in a minute.

Tonight it was time to rest so it was only a light training session. I've a long one in the planning for tomorrow. Going over to recce the first stage of the South Wales Traverse. Haven't done much on the far west of the Black Mountains so it should be a bit of an adventure... I'm aiming for around twenty five miles but whether I manage all of that? well, we'll just have to wait and see.

This evening's session was just a fairly relaxed hour on the bike. Nothing too strenuous - I have an inkling I'm going to need all my strength for tomorrow to battle the wind and the rain. Fingers crossed the weather improves a little but I'm not too hopeful.

And now for something a little different. I'm going to be testing out my GPS tracking capability tomorrow. The map below will hopefully show my position in real time - or as real time as my limited phone reception in the mountains will afford me. I'm aiming to set out on the run around eleven o'clock so if you check back to the blog after that you should see my progress - or, depending on conditions and route finding, the lack of it.

I'm going to try and have real time tracking available on my Traverse attempt in May so tomorrow will be a good test of (a) whether it even works at all, and (b) whether, based on battery drain tomorrow, it will be capable of tracking for the full 24 hours. Fingers crossed to a successful test - and recce...

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment