Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Close Call

As I crossed the line I wasn't sure whether I had edged inside 20 minutes or not. My first Bridge Inn 5k for a few months and it didn't feel quick. All I wanted to do was push sub twenty. My legs felt tons better than yesterday so the bike session and row last night were a help not a hindrance. Still didn't feel what one could call sharp and my left calf was sore. I started in the in the middle of a large field - that's, field of runners not just in the middle of some random field. My plan was to put one foot in front of the other as quickly as I could - now that's what I call a plan.

By midway I was fortunate to find myself in a small pack of runners and we worked well, pushing each other - but not actually pushing each other. I continually drifted off the back of the group only to redouble my effort to catch back up but as we reached the final kilometre I was spent and they got away from me. I continued as best I could to the end but the way my pace felt - and we're talking slow - as I crossed the line and stopped my watch I feared to look.

I needn't have worried though, because the bloody watch had ballsed up royally so I had no idea which side of twenty minutes I was. Great, bloody great. Martin from work, on the other hand, knew exactly how fast he'd run. Another PB! Congrates.

So now I eagerly await the official results. I am on tenterhooks - what the f@^k are they, by the way? - answers on a postcard....

And there in, the results are in - that was quick. OMG, I only went and edged it didn't I. On dodgey, achy legs I only went and ran my fastest time for over eighteen frickin months! The last time I ran quicker was back in April 2009. Tonight, Matthew, I ran 19:12 - still shit compared to what I was once capable of, I know, but so totally unexpected, and it really didn't feel like a nineteen twelve. I am so totally back on the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again...

No comments:

Post a Comment