Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sessioning in the rain

After a monsoon like down pour ten minutes before the start, the session itself was dry - blessed were we. The track surface glistened in the last of the summery evening sun - ok, no sun and the glistening just meant we were running on a pseudo ice rink.

After a few warm up laps I could feel my achilles - I should flippin' hope so but I mean feel it in a bad, tight way. I really didn't want to wear my spikes but the wet surface put an end to thoughts of running in my flats. The lads, including Sean, ran some short reps - that's two and three hundreds. I need longer stuff so opted for some solo eights. At the start I wasn't sure how many I would manage - after a few reps I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be many - on account of the tightening calves. My first was 2:42. The next was 2:45. The third, 2:47 and the final one was 2:50 - it was a sign. A portent, if you will, that it was time to call it a day. I did, however, keep to a reasonably short 90 second recovery - and I was strict, no slacking on my shift.

I'm not overly chuffed with the session but it does at least give me a marker on which to build on in the coming weeks. I'm going to try and run eights for the next few weeks and see if I can't get both faster and more reps done.

There is one thing positive I can take from tonight's session - I'm still dry...

No comments:

Post a Comment