Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Praise be for grannies

I was going to do hill reps and then hit the gym but after work took slightly longer than expected I decided to come home and do hill reps up Dundry - only once I got home I didn't fancy hill reps so I tried mile reps instead.

I haven't done long reps for - well, bloody ages - and boy, did it ever show. No wonder I've been clocking slow times at the Bridge Inn 5K - I'm shit. I only did four and after the first two it was only my mental strength that kept me going. My legs were buckling beneath me - and the splits weren't even very quick - but thank the lord for grannies. Without grannies I would have been lost - maybe forever - then again, maybe not but I might not have been able to complete all four reps.

So why the grannies? Well, when I was on the first of my 2:30 recoveries, pacing up and down, looking in such a state that a dear old granny came across to me and asked if I was lost - I thanked her for her concern but told I was doing penance for my sins and not lost - other than my soul - or should that be sole? Anyway, that took my recovery out to 2:45 and I kept it there for the rest. Without that extra fifteen seconds I don't think I would have made it. Perhaps she was an angel, sent from up above, my very own Clarence - maybe not.

Anyway, my disgraceful splits were 6:05, 6:01, 6:07 and 6:13. The only possible saving grace I can scrape from the session is that I completed it and the rep is now officially measured as - hang on, the only two saving graces are that I completed and the rep is actually just a smidgen over 1.02 miles - that's an extra 2% distance or about 5s in time terms - but still, I need a lot of work - it's a long road back from perdition...

Thought for the day: Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment