Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Inconsistent

It was just the elite group tonight of Rob, Bruce, Bruce's dad, Sean, Rick and me. Phew, got that out of the way. I was hot on the track tonight - zip it. It was a balmy evening. Practically Mediterranean - OK, maybe not - but conditions were almost perfect, if a little humid - but mustn't grumble.

We ran a session of 400, 600, 400, 600 and 400m with a long, jogged lap recovery. We set off in formation running. That is, I got a head start followed by Rob and Bruce a few seconds later and then speedo Sean a few seconds further back.

I have to say, the lads were flying. On the first 400m both Rob and Bruce came screaming past in the home straight and Sean was breathing down my neck. I'm not sure what they were lapping in but bygum it were mighty quick. I think it was around 64 seconds. Sean was even quicker at about 62! So in fact, I did know what they were lapping in - I'll get my coat. I managed an `I'll go quietly` 70 seconds - which wasn't really too bad.

Anyway, it was more of the same on the next two reps except for the fact that I kicked in the afterburners to hold Rob off each time in the home straight. I lulled him into my trap as he drew level before I kicked clear in the last fifty metres [winks to camera] - have it - as I completed reps of 1:46 and 67s - beauty.

Then on the next 600m it was time to curl up and die as I hit 400m I was gone and pulled out with a time of 71s. I was ashamed of myself but my legs had gone. Rob, Bruce and Sean carried on flying.

I regrouped. I was determined to do better as we set off on the final 400m. At the end of the lap I pushed on through the pain to add in those missing 200m from the previous rep and recorded a final 1:48 for a 600m which really wasn't too bad considering. It was quicker than I thought it would be.

So in the end I managed a set of 400, 600, 400, 400 & 600 in 70, 1:46, 67, 71 & 1:48. So as you can see it was a bit inconsistent...

Thought for the day: Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

No comments:

Post a Comment