Sunday, November 13, 2022

Reaching New Highs

It's been a good weekend of training. Yesterday I rounded out the Zwift Tri-Academy Run with a decent 30-minute finish run. My legs weren't fresh after the last couple of days training, but I managed a solid, ramped pace. Up next was a steady ride, stage three of the Tour of Mukuri Islands ahead of today's Zwift Tri-Academy Ride - except I got overly excited coming into the last ten to fifteen minutes.

I was riding in a decent little group with good speed, all set to complete the stage at an average of 80-85% FTP and then it went a bit wrong. The group broke apart as several of the riders went off the front and before I knew it, I was chasing, overtaking and leaving them to eat my dust as I powered my way to the finish, claiming a new 10-minute power average PB by +9 Watts. It wasn't supposed to be that way....

Anyway, back to today. I wasn't sure if I should wait a day before completing the Tri-Academy finish ride but in the end, I decided to go for it. Midway through the 25-minute ramped ride in, I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision. I was finding it hard and the power was an average of 5 watts or so lower than during yesterday's ride - and it felt easy yesterday (before the last ten of course). Anyway, it was too late to cancel so, after the 25-minute section and a 60 second recovery, it was game on.

I have no idea where it came from because I really did feel knackered but for that 5-minute max effort free ride I managed to hit an average of 259W which is +5W on my all-time best effort, not just the comeback. Happy with that! I rounded out the day with an easy 6.7km on the treadmill, ticking off stage 3 of the Run Tour of Makuri Island. From what was a low-key start to the week's training, it's definitely finished on a high note. Rest day tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment