Saturday, September 20, 2014

Feeling A Little Bit Absolutely Knackered..

Dang nabbardy that was hard work. In 22 miles on the mountain there wasn't much running. Tussocks? Yes, lots of them annoying sods. Bog? A fair amount of that too. Fortunately they weren't at their boggiest what with this dry spell. Still energy sapping though - and my energy was sapped.

I naved pretty accurately. I was pleased with that aspect and it was a very good course for it with a couple of really good legs.

The first control of the day was a reasonably long one for a starter and I soon got my head into the map scale. Two, three and four were all pretty good although I had a bit of a wobble to three as I put too much brain power into deciding the route from four to five.

Talking of that, it was a long one. It took me an hour and a half but I think I made a good route choice. I just didn't cover the ground quickly. Six was relatively easy but seven was a tussock bog fest. Not navigationally too difficult but tiring.

My main error was seven to eight. It didn't help that I was beginning get really tired but the main problem was my altitude-ometer which has lost some height - or gained, my brain is still mush. Either way I followed a lower contour than I thought I was on which pushed me further west than I was intending. I quickly realised what had happened and got myself back on track to finally get to eight and then it was the relatively easy drop down to the finish.

Feeling absolutely zapped right now. There is no way I can do another 22 miles tomorrow so I will drop down to the short course. Boy will I ever sleep tonight. I can feel my eyelids drooping as I type...

No comments:

Post a Comment