Monday, August 11, 2008

The JD effect

I carried out my threat to get out to training - back of the net. Feeling tired, and with Sean having raced yesterday, we decided to take it easy. So off we set. Rick was in charge and led us around the Downs. Then disaster struck - we met up with the M50 killing machine that is John Duncan - and boy did he stick it to us...

After a lap(ish) of the grass we headed down Bridge Valley and along the Portway. The pace was building all the time. By the time we hit the Portway we were cruising up at around 3:40 pace - and that's only 2 seconds off my all time 5k pace - and the last time I raced that fast was along time ago in a galaxy far far away.

We had covered just over 5k by the time we hit the back alleys on the way back up to the Downs. The pace slowed a bit - well, my pace did, as the lads dropped me a bit - but they did wait for me to catch up.

Once we hit the Downs the pace kicked off again as JD powered off into the distance with Sean while Rick sensibly eased back for his warm down. I puffed along but still managed to get a good speed going on that final stretch back to the tower.

At the finish we had covered 9.5k in a time of 42 minutes - now that ain't bad. In fact, I'm fair buzzing. It's been a long time since I've managed to run what turned out to be a damn fine tempo run for me. So cheers JD, that really was a dose of medicine the doctor ordered. I think my mojo might be on its way back...

Thought for the day: Don't expect an easy run when running with 50 year old whippet!

No comments:

Post a Comment