Thursday, November 07, 2019

Turning Kind of Phlegmy...

Sounds like it could be a song by The Vapors! But seriously, the sore throat is still store, the cough still coughy and now the phlegm is kicking in. Not ideal but I carried on with the schedule - a #Zwift ride. I didn't want to just pootle and as I scanned for a race. There was one with 100+ riders just about to get underway so I hit select, jumped in the saddle and just got things set up just in time for the start.

Despite not wanting to pootle, within mere moments I was getting my ass handed to me on a plate. Practically last place from the get go. Still, I pedalled as fast as my limited capacity would let me. I rode the first two laps (of five) with one other rider at the back and despite edging up the power, couldn't break him. I formulated a plan....

At the end of the second lap, on the short climb to the start/finish 'straight' (it's not actually straight) I got out of the saddle, put the hammer down and left him standing. Keeping the power down for a minute or two to make sure of the gap, I then had a coughing fit - but despite that managed to remain away.

During the third lap I caught another rider and together we picked up a few more on the road ahead. Into the final kilometre on the final lap, with the group up to five, I employed the same tactic as before and hammered it on the final climb, splintering the group and then keeping clear to cross the line in not last place - cue another coughing fit.

Probably wasn't the most sensible thing. My throat is more sore than before but hopefully the 45 minute of effort won't have been too detrimental. I feel all the better for it - apart from the sorer throat, more coughing and mucho phlegm...


No comments:

Post a Comment