Sunday, October 04, 2009

It's not right but it's ok

With the armed police ready to shoot on sight I was on best behaviour as I headed out for a two to three mile warm up. My legs didn't feel too bad but I could definitely detect something in my quads. Conditions were good. Not too much wind but almost too much sun for me - I's a cold weather man. Anyway, off we set at 10:30 which for me was a voyage of discovery.

I ran controlled and went through the first couple of miles on my target of 6:30. After than I dropped back towards 6:45 but still steady and controlled. I began to set my sights on 66 minutes because I didn't feel too bad, almost relaxed. As I worked my way through the field I almost - emphasis on almost - began to enjoy it. I'm not sure a 10 miler can ever be described as enjoyable. It's just plain hard work from the gun to the tape with no let up for good behaviour.

Anyway, it was all going OK and I was through 10k in a season best time of 41:10 (3 seconds inside my previous SB - which was actually in a 10k race funnily) but after hitting mile seven I started to deteriorate. My lack of training showed like a beacon of light of a grey day. I slowed. Then I slowed a bit more. And finally in the last mile, a little bit more. I eventually finished in a time of 67:40ish.

Overall I'm happy with that. It gives me a marker. And now I'm off to choose my month end target race...

No comments:

Post a Comment