Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Yellow lightning

Wow! What a session that was and not only that it was another good turn out - almost a full house - but not quite. Jamie was still buzzing from his cross country exploits on Sunday - fair play - he is a 400m man, after all.

We ran three 800's followed by three 500's and finished off with three 300's. And even though I blow my own trumpet - stop it - it was a far far quicker session that I did tonight than I have ever done before.

My times were 2:32, 30, 31 for the 8's then 93, 92, 91 for the 5's and 52, 49, 51 for the 3's. Considering my 800m pb is only 2:24 that can't be bad. And the lads were stunned by my 49s 300m - as yellow lightning came tear-arsing down the final hundred metres destroying all in his wake - monumental baby. I cramped up through the line though - but it was worth it - I got to within spitting distance of Sean and Nick.

I managed to de-cramp in time for the final one, albeit a bit slower but I wouldn't have got close to the lads on the final one anyway. They absolutely legged it. Jamie, Harry and Danny were all around 46s with Nick and Sean even faster - awesome.

I don't think I've ever run training 800's inside 2:34 before so I am slightly buzzing at the moment. It was solid, hard effort tonight. I felt light headed at times. Struggled for breath at others but stuck in there, dug deep and came away with the prize - there wasn't really a prize, lads - just the prize of personal satisfaction. Bring it on...

Thought for the day: The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.