Saturday, July 25, 2015

A Very Social Run...

So the weather was true to the forecast. It was close to perfect as we, that's seven of us, set out from Tal-y-Bont on our loop of the reservoir. It was quite a far reaching loop though. First heading up to Craig y Fan before heading over to Allt Lwyd. From there it was down to the road at Abercynafon, following the South Wales Traverse route.

We deviated off the route a little on the way towards Cefn yr Ystrad to avoid the field, and followed the main track instead. Back on route I drew comments of 'are you sure?' on the way back onto the hillside - and to be honest for a few moments I wasn't quite sure myself! But it had to be right, it was in the right place just not as 'pathy' as it should have been. Turned out it was right, just very very overgrown and under used but we came out at the stile so that put an end to the doubts...

From there it was fairly open, rough running up and across to the quarry but the views were great. It's not often I take a moment to look at the views and with the sun shinning it was worth doing just that. Upon reaching Ystrad summit Matthew convened a forum to discuss if we were actually on the summit or not. Resorting to the map, we decided we were. It was then he sneakily loaded a rock into my back pack! I caught sight of him trying to add another - only at the time I didn't realise it was rock number two...

We headed off from the summit out of the quarry and down to the forest, to the north and a very pleasant path back towards Tor y Foel. Upon reaching the base of Tor y Foel Matthew decided to unload my backpack of the extra weight!

Finally, having gone up and over, and a minor deviation, we reached the dam and our days running was complete. I felt pretty good at the finish and it was pleasing to get in 25km with 4,000ft of ascent. I'm feeling fitter with every run...

No comments:

Post a Comment