Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Slow motion

It was the first of the Winter Bridge Inn races tonight and with a little niggle in my left hamstring - and the small matter of being just plain bloody slow at the moment - I was never going to be quick. In truth I didn't even look at it as a race, more a tempo run.

At the moment I don't think I'm capable of running a single kilometer at my old PB pace - so there wasn't any point in even considering running five that quick.

I started towards the back so as to control my initial pace and avoid the adrenalin run at the front - that worked and my first kilometre was 3:56. I moved through kilometres two and three in 3:54 and 3:57 respectively before another steady 3:54 in the fourth. The final kilometre saw me rally to a death defying - ok, a non-death defying - 3:49 as I pushed on past a mass of fellow runners.

I was pleased with the manner of the run - if not my ability to run fast. I was steady, controlled and it will have done me some good. It certainly felt good to be finishing strong. I know I could have pushed a little harder and gone a little quicker but we aren't talking more than a second or two per kilometre and that still leaves me no where near where I want to be. At least this way I should be able to run a decent training session tomorrow on the track - those extra couple of seconds here or there would have finished me and at this time it's all about trying to maximise my training before Stroud - or I'm in for that whooping...

Thought for the day: Life's precious moments don't have value, unless they are shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment