Sunday, October 13, 2019

A Good Days Training

Started with a group ride on #Zwift around the virtual Harrogate UCI loop. Really enjoyed it. We rode as a group for the first 20k before hitting the final climb, from whence the fence was turned off and the racing began. I felt I was working reasonably hard during the group ride section despite my average power only being 2W/kg or around 65% of my old FTP. So it was a totally surprise to be able to put down power 'well' above that old FTP on the climb, and managing an average 3W/kg or 95% FTP over that last 7k. Really happy with that. Perhaps some of my perceived lack of power is down to being subconsciously afraid to push it in case I overdo it like I did before...

Anyway, I gave myself an hour and a half recovery before hitting the treadmill for a 5k 'race' effort. I almost didn't because my legs were definitely feeling it from the ride but I did despite that. No ramping this time - well almost none...

After a brief five minute pre-race warm-up, I was straight into a pace near the top of my last few ramped runs - which is admittedly still pitiful but it is what it is. Turns out even that was a bit ambitious at this point in my rehabilitation, having to resort to 200m recovery, 800m effort in order to keep going as my heart rate kept heading too high. As penance, I did at least nudge up the pace on each subsequent 800m section and covered the 5k much quicker than during my ramped runs.

It's still all moving in the right direction and I feel I'm getting a bit more balance to the training. Recovery and rest tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment