Thursday, April 05, 2007

Holding on in Horfield

I've never trained on the patch of grass we trained on tonight in Horfield. The sun was shining and it almost felt like summer as our little band of merry men - and women - ran round the course, robbing the rich to give to the poor - no, hang on, that was a film. No, we just ran, yep, that's right, we just ran.

The session consisted of eight reps then six reps then four. Each rep was 300m (gps) uphill with 70s recovery and then three minutes between sets.

I think I put it the most effort of any training session I've ever run. If not the most it was certainly right up there. That's not to say I didn't have doubts creeping in. I started out slow on the first two reps but towards the end of the first set, the eight, I was up to speed but also on the verge of calling it a day. It was such hard effort and really hurting but after my pathetic showing yesterday I just couldn't give in - defeat was not on the menu tonight.

I drew on my reserves, dug in and kept going. Heidi and I really battled each other up that hill which helped me stay the session. I have to thank her for pushing me because that really forced me to run on the limit. Without that push I would have almost certainly slowed. All the reps, bar two, ended up being in the range 60-62s. It was a great session on which to finish before my hols - I finish on a high - pick that one out the back of the net.

Thought for the day: A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled.

No comments:

Post a Comment