Friday, February 24, 2012

Almost Complete..

Been a hard day's rest. I was up at eight. Had a bit of breaky and then, freshly brewed coffee to hand, I ventured forth to make a start on Vera for what I hoped would be one of the last times.

First up the curtains. To give a bit of privacy and keep out the light. All of five minutes and they were up - back of the net. Really please with how they look and how much light they block out.

Black out...

and looking in from outside - or not...

With the curtains out the way it was time to make a start on the storage and cooking unit. I wasn't sure how much I'd get done but with the outline design to hand I set about constructing. Bit by bit it all started to come together. At first it all seemed a bit wonky but as the work continued it all seemed to drop into place. I'm bloody glad I had the chop saw. It was worth its weight in gold, making light work of cutting the wood to length.

In the end I settled on a fairly basic layout. No fancy lifting lids or sliding bits. The main work top has a double layer so I can stow the cooker and utensils, pots and pans underneath. As you can see there is still a bit of finishing off to do. I want to enclose the ends and sides with 3mm ply. That won't affect the usability but it'll make it look a bit nicer. I don't think I'm going to bother putting doors on the bottom section but I may put down a strip of wood to stop anything in the storage area sliding around the floor. I might also sub-divide that area (above the wheel arch) but I'll wait and see how I use the space first.

All in all it's been a very productive six! hours working on the van and she's pretty much fully operational now although I still need something to black out the rear windows.

At the half-way point..

Good to go, water on tap and cooker at the ready...